Governor Wolf is doing things differently to get results for the people of Pennsylvania. He is going to continue to fight to change Harrisburg in order to make a difference in the lives of Pennsylvanians.
TO: Interested Parties
FROM: Jeff Sheridan, Wolf for PA Campaign Manager
SUBJECT: Governor Wolf is Fighting to Change Harrisburg
DATE: May 14, 2018
Governor Tom Wolf is fighting to change Harrisburg. As soon as he took office, Governor Wolf immediately sent Harrisburg legislators, insiders, and lobbyists a signal that he was not going to do things the way they were always done. He announced that he would donate his salary to charity and would refuse a state pension and enacted some of the strongest executive branch ethics reforms in the country. Governor Wolf:
- Signed an executive order banning anyone in his administration from taking gifts.
- Reformed the legal contracting process to end pay-to-play.
- Required all of his cabinet’s expenses to be posted publicly so taxpayers can see how their money is spent.
Now, Governor Wolf is working to enact campaign finance reforms to curb special interests and establish an independent redistricting commission. He’s also continuing his fight to pass a commonsense severance tax.
Harrisburg Republicans have repeatedly thwarted the governor’s attempts to pass a commonsense shale tax because they want to score political points. Republican opposition in Harrisburg is rooted in politics, not in the best interest of the state. The Philadelphia Inquirer has reported that big oil and gas has spent over $60 million dollars on lobbying and political donations to avoid paying a commonsense severance tax. But Governor Wolf will not allow them to play games with the economic well-being of Pennsylvanians.
Changing the culture in Harrisburg is hard. But by making state government more transparent and responsive to Pennsylvanians, and by working to make sure the people of Pennsylvania benefit from the natural gas industry, Governor Wolf is continuing his fight to change the way things are done so he can move Pennsylvania forward.
Governor Wolf is:
PREPARING OUR CHILDREN FOR THE JOBS OF THE 21ST CENTURY
Five years ago, a Republican governor and a Republican legislature cut a nearly a billion dollars from public education. Teachers were laid off by the tens of thousands, important programs were cut, and schools were pushed to the brink of closing. But when Governor Wolf took office, he drew a line in the sand. He refused to balance the budget on the backs of our children and he stood up to Harrisburg politicians who were used to doing things a certain way.
The result? Governor Wolf has restored the cuts made by the Harrisburg legislature and passed a fair funding formula to take politics out of school funding once and for all.
And now, Governor Wolf is fighting to make college more affordable and to increase workforce development and apprenticeship training. Since he’s taken office, Governor Wolf has:
- Increased the number of credentials earned by students in career and technical education programs by 42 percent.
- Increased the number of registered apprentices has increased by 14.5 percent.
- Supported training of more than 120,000 workers at more than 2,200 companies across the commonwealth to help workers thrive in their jobs and develop more marketable skills.
IMPROVING ACCESS TO QUALITY HEALTH CARE
Governor Wolf knows that for Pennsylvania to reach its greatest potential, residents must have access to affordable, quality health care. Since he took office, Governor Wolf has:
- Expanded Medicaid to over 720,000 Pennsylvanians.
- Reduced the uninsured rate to its lowest rate ever.
- Increased enrollment in the Children’s Health Insurance Program by 20 percent.
- Legalized medical marijuana.
- Declared the opioid and heroin epidemic a statewide disaster declaration and used every tool at the state’s disposal to battle this devastation public health crisis.
PROTECTING OUR SENIORS
Under Governor Wolf, tens of thousands of additional seniors are now able to age in their homes. He is also protecting the lottery fund that supports important programs for older Pennsylvanians, improving nursing home facilities, and upgrading senior community centers. And every step of the way, Governor Wolf has stood up to Donald Trump’s plans to institute an age tax and roll back prescription drug coverage for Pennsylvania’s seniors.
Now, Governor Wolf is lowering prescription drug prices for seniors and continuing to expand opportunities for seniors to age in their homes.
GROWING THE ECONOMY
Since day one, Governor Wolf has focused on creating an economy that works for all Pennsylvanians. As a business owner, Governor Wolf knows what it takes to create jobs right here in Pennsylvania. As governor, he has:
- Eliminated burdensome taxes on businesses like the Capital Stock and Franchise Tax.
- Made significant investments in workforce development and apprenticeship programs to prepare workers for jobs of the 21st century.
- Passed a manufacturing tax credit.
- Repaired or rebuilt 1,300 roads, 600 bridges, and more than 6,000 miles of roadway with $6 billion in infrastructure improvements funding Pennsylvania.
- Moved large projects forward like the Shell Cracker Plant in Western PA, the Port of Philadelphia, and a steel plant in Johnstown.
- Supported small businesses by cutting red tape and investing in real estate financing, equipment loans and lines of credit for 173 small business projects that led to more than $350 million in private investment.
Now, Governor Wolf is launching PA Smart, a new workforce development initiative that helps connect Pennsylvanians with resources for working and training in Pennsylvania.
GETTING THINGS DONE
Rather than accepting business as usual in Harrisburg that has left state government broken, Governor Wolf has governed practically and sensibly, using the experience he gained as a business owner to find real solutions to Pennsylvania’s problems. He’s worked with both Democrats and Republicans on issues that have long sat dormant in Harrisburg to get results for our commonwealth. Governor Wolf has:
- Signed comprehensive pension reform which reduced risk to taxpayers, continues to pay down our debt, and slashes Wall Street fees.
- Legalized medical marijuana, providing long overdue medical relief to patients with serious medical conditions such as cancer and multiple sclerosis.
- Enacted a fair funding formula that removes politics from school funding.
- Modernized Pennsylvania’s archaic liquor system by instituting reforms that improve customer convenience, such as allowing beer to be sold at gas stations and c-stores and allowing grocery stores to sell wine.
- Signed Libre’s Law, strengthening animal cruelty laws.
Governor Wolf is doing things differently to get results for the people of Pennsylvania.
He is going to continue to fight to change Harrisburg in order to make a difference in the lives of Pennsylvanians.